- Corporate Compliance & Governance
- Corporate Counseling & Governance
- Internal Investigations & White-Collar Crime
Bruno Maeda focuses on corporate compliance and anti-corruption matters. He received master of laws degrees from the London School of Economics and Political Science and from the University of São Paulo. He has been the coordinator of the Anti-corruption and Compliance Committee of the Brazilian Institute of Business Law. Worked at the London office of Baker & McKenzie from September 2005 to March 2006.Practice Focus
In the compliance and anti-corruption area, his experience includes general assistance in FCPA/anti-corruption matters, coordination of several large internal investigation cases (including multijurisdictional cases), development, review and implementation of compliance programs, trainings to management and employees, conduction of compliance risk assessments and anti-corruption audits in the context of M&A projects.Representative Legal Matters
He acted in several compliance and internal investigation matters in the information technology, pharmaceuticals and logistics areas.Publications
- Speaker, First Public Hearing at the Brazilian House of Representative´s Special Committee that is reviewing Bill of Law No. 6826/10, which will regulate the liability of legal entities for bribery offences and other acts against the Public Administration, October 2011, Brasilia.
- Speaker, "Essential Elements of Compliance Programs", in the 1st LEC Compliance Workshop, November 28, 2012, São Paulo.
- Speaker, " Brazil: Compliance Issues and Challenges", web event organized by Ethisphere, October 30, 2012.
- Speaker, "Brazilian Anticorruption Bill", in the seminar "UK Bribery Act and Anticorruption Compliance Challenges in Brazil and the UK" organized by the British Consulate-General in São Paulo (October 25, 2012) and in Rio de Janeiro (October 29, 2012).
- Speaker, "Anti-Bribery Legislation in Brazil: Issues and Challenges Moving Forward", event held by the Brazilian Institute of Business Law - IBRADEMP, in conjunction with The American Bar Association Section of International Law Anti-Corruption Committee, July 19, 2012, Washington, DC.
- Speaker, "Mitigating Risks: M&A Transactions and Third Parties", at the 2011 November Conference of the International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA), São Paulo.
- Speaker, "Internationalization - Risks for Companies and Executives - Anticorruption Laws", at the International Meeting of Financial Lines Insurance, São Paulo.
- Speaker, "Internal investigations: limits and best practices in the investigation of violations by executives", at the Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Brazil, September 2010, São Paulo.
- Author of the Brazil chapter in the book "Corporate Internal Investigations: Overview of 13 Jurisdictions", edited by Stephan Spehl and Thomas Gruetzner, published by Beck C. H., in February 2013.
- Author of the Brazil chapter in the book "Anti-Bribery Risk Assessment: A Systematic Overview of 151 Countries", edited by Thomas Gruetzner, Ulf Hommel and Klaus Moosmayer, published by Hart Publishing, London, UK, in February 2011.
- Author, "Corporate emails monitoring in Brazil", article, published in the Global Employer, September 2010.
- Author, "Privacy and Data Protection in Brazil", chapter, Global Privacy Handbook, published by Baker & McKenzie in 2008.Professional Associations and Memberships
Brazilian Bar Association (OAB)
Brazilian Institute of Business Law (Ibrademp) - Coordinator of the Anti-corruption and Compliance Committee
Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
Universidade de São Paulo Law School (J.D.) (2001)
London School of Economics and Political Science, United Kingdom (LL.M) (2005) (with scholarship granted by the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office through the Chevening Program)
Universidade de São Paulo Law School (Master of Laws) (2006)
Portuguese and English.